Gravity Got you Down? There’s a Cure for That!
When was the last time you hopped on one foot? Have you walked along a curb lately? If you are like most people, you probably don’t spend much time thinking about your balance, that is, until you take a tumble, or have a close call. Typically we take such things for granted until we experience an incident. By then, it might be too late. The statistics are staggering….one in 5 Canadian adults over the age of 65 will have a fall this year. Balance is very important to us at any age, but especially so as we get older. Falls resulting from balance loss can be very serious, potentially causing a hip fracture, head/brain injury, and associated complications.
Muscles make our body move. The less muscle we have the harder it is to walk up stairs, stand up from a chair or quickly change our direction without losing our balance. Losing muscle can come from lack of activity, and we even lose leg strength because there may be less blood going to the leg muscles as we get older. Without physical activity, we can expect to lose approximately 1% of our balance and 1% of our strength per year, starting at age 35ii. That’s a whopping 30% loss by the time we reach 65!
The good news is that there are many balance training interventions that can help prevent falls due to lack of muscle strength and can also reverse age-related decline including our ability to recover from sudden loss of balance. There is strong medical evidence that balance training can improve balance on both stable and unstable surfaces. QIGONG and T’AI CHI are excellent activities to prevent a loss of balance, as are fitness classes that incorporate upright balance activities, side to side movement, and strength exercises.
The Halton Hills Active Living Centres are offering free trial QIGONG and T’AI CHI classes during their Open House Week – Sept. 8-12, as well as a presentation on the Benefits of Balance Training. Contact your Active Living Centre for dates and times: Acton – 519.853.5951; Georgetown – 905.877.6444.Posted: Aug. 20, 2014 Under: Halton Hills - Georgetown Permanent Link to this Article
Attention: Halton Hills Businesses !
Increase Sales for your Company – Inexpensive, Easy and Effective!!
Be found on search engines! Get more visitors to your site! Have your site generate leads! Or revenue! Our proven methods for building quality traffic and positive search engine results will help you increase visitors to your site and sales for your company.
Truck Safety Project, Halton Hills
On August 13, 2014 uniform officers from Milton and Georgetown collaborated with officers from the Halton Regional Police Service’s Commercial Motor Vehicle Unit and Ministry of Transportation in a project aimed at truck safety and enforcement.
During the project in Hornby, 27 commercial vehicles were stopped and inspected.
Nineteen of those vehicles were taken off the road until defects could be repaired.
A total of 69 charges were laid against the drivers and owners of those vehicles.
The project ended up with a seventy percent failure rate of vehicles inspected.
Police remind the public to utilize Crime Stoppers to report any illegal activity at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.com or by texting “Tip201” with your message to 274637(crimes).Posted: Aug. 19, 2014 Under: Halton Hills - Georgetown Permanent Link to this Article
Halton Hot Jobs - August 18, 2014
Halton Region helps unemployed and underemployed people in Halton prepare for, obtain and maintain employment. We work in partnership with companies and organizations in our community to post the latest employment opportunities.
Here are the new job listings at the Halton Region Job Board for this week:
- Head Salad ( Prep Cook) – Woodbine Entertainment Group- Mohawk Racetrack
- Kitchen Help – Woodbine Entertainment Group- Mohawk Racetrack
- Full/part Time Marketplace Server – Woodbine Entertainment Group-Mohawk Racetrack
- Gaming Hospitality Supervisor, Mohawk Racetrack – Woodbine Entertainment Group- Mohawk Racetrack
- Customer Service Associate ( Casual) – Mohawk – Woodbine Entertainment Group- Mohawk Racetrack
- Cashier / Merchandiser and Supervisor – Shoppers Drug Mart
- Front Desk Clerk – Quality Inn Suites
- Lot Associate – Home Depot
- General Labour – Landscaping – Highbury Stone
- Auto Parts Clerk – Peninsula Imports
- Hairstyling Apprenticeship (Paid) – Rainbow Expressions Salon Inc.
- Stock Cerk – Bulk Barn
- Inside Steel – Laurel Steel, a division of Harris Steel ULC
- Senior Sales Associate – Goodwill, The Amity Group
- Technical Coordinator/ Millcreek Location – Testing Laboratories of Canada, Corp
- Asbestos, Mould & Interior Demolition Workers – Healthy Environmental
- Textile Testing Technician – Testing Laboratories of Canada, Corp